4/21/2015

The Girliest Farmhand You'll Ever Meet

Lillian and I recently spent the weekend at my parents' farm while Lee was out of town for work. I ADORE springtime on the farm! I have so many fond memories of playing outside at the barn while growing up (until I became a teenager and vehemently hated farm life).



That's a picture of a picture of yours truly getting my farm on as a small child. Yes, I'm wearing bling (and possibly eyeshadow?). I was (and still am) the girliest farm hand you'll ever meet. I can shovel horse shit without marring a still wet fresh manicure. TRUE STORY.

My mom used to breed warmbloods for drassage so there were always adorable/goofyass foals frolicking around the pastures. And I witnessed many of those foals being born (And I realize now how crazy it is that as a four year old I was watching mares giving birth!). I would spend hours digging for bugs and worms to feed to the chickens. I had "secret" clubhouses back in the dark, dusty corners of the hayloft. I had two ponies as a kid. Yes, two - Marigold would get carsick when she rode in the horse trailer, so we got Clementine for me to take to Pony Club shows. There are multiple pictures of me riding the ponies in riding boots, a hard hat, and various sparkly princess outfits.

I love taking Lillian to the farm. My dad spends the whole time telling her how someday she'll get to ride on the tractor with him and be his assistant. My mom dangles her feet in patches of clover and then mud puddles and delights in Lillian's resulting smiles.  My mom loves watching little kids enjoy the farm; she is totally going to buy a pony for Lillian any minute now.

Yikes, that girl is super white.

As a kid I spent tons of time exploring our woods, playing in the mud, and discovering all sorts of nature. During this visit, we spotted a hidden bird nest in the wall of a shed. Shortly thereafter, I pried a terrified turtle from the mouth of a very excited boxer. (Don't worry, the turtle was unharmed and was later released beside our neighbor's pond, far far away from turtle hunting dogs.)




I can't wait for Lillian to be old enough to enjoy farm adventures!

No comments: